Friday, March 3, 2017

Playground

Today smelled like spring.  It was warm and sunshiny so I took Hannah and Amelia to the park to play.  A little muslim girl, around 5 years old, joined us playing on the merry go round and then followed us over to the tree where we were playing "Indian princesses".  I started drawing in the dirt and invited her to join us.  So she spelled out her name for me to write into the dirt with my "bâton" (Now I know the French word for stick and learning it in context with help it stick!)  Her name is "Lina" (pronounced "Leena").  I could write it properly and pronounce it because of my phonetics training in language school.  (Check out this link if you want to hear the French alphabet:  http://www.languageguide.org/french/alphabet/).



I spoke with her French and she understood.  My French words and French thoughts came more quickly and with less effort.  Four months ago I did not even know my alphabet.  And now I could successfully have a conversation with a five year old.  I left the park feeling encouraged.  There is so much to learn, but I am getting it.  As my college French professor used to say, "Petit à petit, l’oiseau fait son nid".

No comments: